Saturday, July 15, 2006

July 15
Today we went to Lucerne to try to cram way too much into one day. Well, I don’t think that was the point, but that was what happened. I believe that I mentioned that I was thinking at some point I might go through a sort of rebellious 14 year old "I'm ditching the group" thing. Which is exactly what happened. About a third of the way through our walking tour, around 5:30 p.m., I thought, "I absolutely can't do this anymore." Sara and Katie came with me and we caught an earlier train back to Engelberg. The group left the hotel at 7 a.m. to catch the 7:15 train. We arrived in Lucerne about 8:30, just as the market was starting. It was so beautiful. The vegetables and fruit are like nothing I've seen. So fresh and beautiful. The only frustrating thing is that we don't have consistent access to a kitchen. So there we were, surrounded by all of these great things to eat and nothing to do with them if we got them. So...we settled for some cherries, a pastry and a cappuccino-- which isn't really settling in the grand scheme of things is it? We also visited Confiserie Bachman for a chocolate demonstration and a sampling of chocolates. My favorites were an almond and honey concoction dipped in chocolate, a dark chocolate truffle with a hint of rosewater, and an absolutely gorgeous handmade truffle that was prepared while we watched. Overall, it was a lovely day. I decided to take pictures of me and the people here that I like so you would know who my friends are in Switzerland....There are also pics of the market and the chocolate demo.



Just a fraction of the yumminess....




I had to get this woman in a picture....she's so fabulous. The halter, the Dior shoes, the apron. By far the most fabulous vendor there.


The chocolate guy.


That whole tray is just for us!!!


Gina from DC and me. She is really quite lovely.


Sarah from San Diego. She is 19, but she'd rather hang out with us because we're cooler than the other 19 year olds on the trip. Imagine.


Colin is a straight edge skater kid from Charlotte, NC. He's very funny and keeps us from getting on each other's nerves too much.


Anita from Chicago....she and Gina and I share a brain, I think. We think a lot alike. No wonder we like each other.


Eric from DC...We like him-- in spite of the fact that he's prone to break into Kelly Clarkson, Reba McEntire or Broadway at any moment.


This is me in Lucerne....that is Old Town in the background.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

Cool! Thanks for introducing us to your EuroFriends. And the market and the chocolate. Happy to hear you've still got those impetuous 14 year old streaks in ya baby!

2:38 PM  
Blogger Carlos said...

Your looking much cleaner and more social than I can say of myself. Typically once Im in a major town for an hour, I ready to head back to the woods.

2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home